Thursday, November 29, 2012

Memorable November

I know I start out every post about how busy we have been that month, but man, November takes the cake!! Thinking about all we've done this past month, and I can't believe we fit it all into a month! Especially when we spent so much time sick at home, in bed!




We spent a lot of time out walking with friends


Remember, remember the 5th of November. Gunpowder, treason, and plot.


I knew what the 5th of November was, thanks to the movie 'V for Vendetta' but I had no idea how big of a deal it is here in England! We celebrated our first 5th by going to a big bonfire held in a local nature reserve. There was a big fireworks display & everything. It was fun & brilliant & I can't wait to do it again next year!


Layla & I have also developed a new tradition of going to the Galaxy Club for lunch once a week to have burgers, fries, and read comic books together! We started reading Super Girl New 52! issues together, but then I found a whole book of all the first issues & we started reading that together. Layla LOVES it!! We have so much fun. We've also been reading some Batman lately. Together we sit in the booth, eating & reading, for hours after she gets out of school.


Layla also had a big milestone this month; first ever ear infection! The doctor was surprised it took this long for her to get one. She was in a lot of pain the first day, so I took her in, but once she got some medicine & ear drops, she was fine. Luckily it wasn't a bacterial infection, it was just a bit of inflammation due to drainage from her being sick for the past month.


Layla has been having a great time at her school. She plays, she colours, she sings, she learns. I'm so impressed with her vocabulary. She has learned so much these past few months!


Yes, her 10 is backwards & I think it's so cute.




Funny things Layla has said & done:


  • Layla is on the potty, I'm in the next room "Mommy, thank you for letting me eat chocolate!"
  • We were up late watching movies one weekend & when the last movie was over Layla asked, "What are we going to watch next?" I replied, "The back of our eyelids." She said, "I don't like that movie."
  • "I was having a moustache last night, just like Grandpa Pete's"
  • "Mama, I have a good idea!" "What's that?" "Rocket ship!"
  • "I'm cold." "Put on a sweatshirt."
  • While she was sick & had her ear filled with ear drops, she couldn't hear anything. We were getting comfortable for sleep & Layla sits up suddenly, "I feel better!" Then looks surprised & points at her healthy ear & says, "Hey! I can still talk with this ear!"
  • Floral prints & Batman socks.


Layla is still running just as much as ever. We went to the track one chilly day to run a few laps together. She's a natural =)


This particular day, we got to the track to see a group of people running around one person carrying a flag. Each time they finished a lap the flag would be passed on to a different person. The group constantly changed, but there was always someone running. I asked one of the resting runners what they were doing this for & she pointed out a list they had on a poster. It was a list of all RAF Lakenheath airmen who have died. The runners were doing a 24 hour memorial run for these people. It was very touching, and they even got Layla & I in on it! Layla thought it was the coolest thing ever!


Layla also had a fun time one weekend with her friend, Isa. While Isa's parents went out of town she stayed with us! They fight like siblings, but they play like best friends! We kept busy, and in spite of the girls both being sick, we had a lot of fun!


Layla decided to make a duck costume. Wings, beak, and of course, tail feathers.


We had a pretty fun Thanksgiving. Since Jer was deployed for this holiday, we didn't want to do anything too big. I love cooking Thanksgiving food, so I made a decent meal, with the help of Layla, & we had a few friends over to help us eat it.


My little archery expert, working on her form!


An article came out about a local archery club & as soon as I read it, I knew that Layla & I had to join! They don't offer lessons, but the guy that runs the club was very helpful in teaching Layla & I what to do & loaning us some equipment. Layla is still quite little to be doing this on her own, but she's very enthusiastic about learning & enjoys going out to the club to shoot, collect arrows, or play with her toy bow & arrow. I just ordered myself a bow & arrow set, but I'll probably wait until her birthday to get Layla her own set.


Layla & her friend, Xander, trying to steal the club's golf cart!


At the end of the month we took a short trip down to Dover to see the sights. Oh, Dover Castle is just beautiful. We toured underground tunnels that were used by the British during World War II. They still had a lot of the original equipment down there. I wish we were allowed to take pictures in the tunnels, it was so cool down there!!

Roman church, Saxon lighthouse


My little adventure traveller. She's only 4, but she gets to go to the coolest places!


The great tower of the castle. Layla & I climbed all the way to the top! She was such a trooper with those steep, winding steps! The view from the top was just brilliant. It was a cold, windy day, but man it was beautiful!!


We were able to see France in the distance. Layla was pretty excited to see France since she's been learning French. She's been begging me to take her there. Hopefully we'll be able to make that happen in 2013! We're looking for a low-key Christmas at home with Jeremy.

Happy Holidays!!


No comments:

Post a Comment